Sunday, February 1, 2015

Feeding My Family of Four on $150ish


I am always in search of ways to help save money for my family.  Hubs and I work hard and this year we hope to sell our house and move into something bigger than a >900 sq. ft., two bedroom house. Sometimes we feel like we live in this tiny house.


Can you imagine?!?!

Anyways, in order to complete home updates in preparation of placing our current home on the market, as well as continue to save for a down payment, we are taking a hard look at our spending to save every penny possible.

First money saving change is to eat on $150 for two weeks.  This is only our second, two-week tracking of our food budget and here are a couple details up front:
  1. This is a work in progress. I want to include more vegetables and less starch but I am working with what I know my family will eat and trying to slowly build menu plans that work for us and is a bit healthier.  I am not an expert and this is not perfect.
  2. Hubs has to eat lunch out often during the work week and that expense is not included in the $150.
  3. We eat every Sunday at either my grandparent's house or my parent's house which saves us one meal a week and often one extra lunch for myself and the kids.
  4. I am using items currently in our food pantry/freezer and this is helping keep the overall expense down.
  5. I will not include personal care items in this total. Eventually I hope to have a streamlined process and have cut even more expenses allowing this.  Right now I am concentrating on just making sure we are not eating out of an evening.
  6. My family includes Hubs, myself, and two children ages 8 &11.

Menu: February 1-14

Breakfast:
  • Cereal 
  • Egg/Bacon Biscuits
  • Oatmeal
  • Sausage/Egg Burritos 
Lunch
  • PB&J
  • Ham Sandwiches
  • Mac-n-cheese
  • Salad
  • Leftovers
  • Sides: Baby Carrots, yogurt, chips
Dinner:
Sides:
  • Broccoli 
  • Jiffy Corn Muffins
  • Green Bean Casserole 
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Corn
  • Garlic Bread
  • Doritos
  • Stuffing
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Salad
  • Kale
Snack:
  • Chips/Guacamole
  • Ice Cream
  • Oranges

The Food, The Price


How did I spend around $150?  I shopped at Aldi and Kroger and with many items still in my pantry, I can make two weeks worth of meals.

Frozen: $14.49
Cheese Ravioli- $2.49 (purchased two)
Meatballs- $4.39
Broccoli- $3.99
Brussels Sprouts- $1.13

Meat: $17.60
1 lb Sausage- $2.39
1 lb Deli Ham- $3.00
1 pkg Bacon- $2.50
Chicken Breast- $9.71 ($1.99lb)

Dairy: $14.83 
Yogurt- $1.79
Sour Cream- $1.29
Gallon Milk- $1.99 (purchased two)
Half Gallon Chocolate Milk- $1.79
Sliced cheese- $2.99 (purchased two)

Fruits & Vegetables: $14.00
Broccoli Crowns- $.99
Navel Oranges- $2.89
Organic Baby Carrots- $1.49
Grape Tomatoes- $.89
Organic Spring Lettuce Mix- $4.99
Avocado- $.88 (purchased two)
Organic Kale- $.99

Dry Goods: $11.53
French Fried Onions- $1.99
Rice- $.99
Old Fashioned Oats- $2.29
Guacamole Mix- $.99
Jiffy Corn Muffin- $.47 (purchased two)
Cornbread Stuffing- $1.00 (purchased two)
Garlic Bread- $1.33
Salad Croutons- $1.00

Canned Goods: $9.09
Organic Chicken Broth- $1.79 (purchased two)
Cream of Chicken- $.59 (purchased three)
Great Northern Beans- $.59
Pinto Beans- $1.19
Mushrooms- $.59
Black Beans- $.59 (purchased two)
Tomato Paste- $.39 (purchased two)

Grocery Items: $15.60
Pesto Sauce- $1.29
Peanut Butter- $1.69
Ketchup- $1.77
Spaghetti Sauce- $1.79 (purchased two)
Pickles- $2.59
Miracle Whip- $3.49
BBQ Sauce- $1.19

Bakery: $9.07
Flour Tortilla: $1.69
Sweet Rolls: $2.89
Sour Dough Subs: $1.99
Wheat Bread- $1.25 (purchased two)

Junk Food: $11.47
Sour Cream & Chive Chips-$1.49
Cheese Curls- $.99
BBQ Potato Chips- $1.49
Doritos- $2.50 (purchased two)
Ice Cream- $2.50

Beverages: $6.39
Concentrate Apple Juice- $.95
Concentrate Orange Juice- $1.19
Soda Pop- $1.25
Soda Pop- $1.50 (purchased two)

Total: $124.07

Some major food items I already have are a turkey I purchased after Christmas, some ground beef, eggs, cereal, and mac-n-cheese.  If I were to buy those things today, I would be a hair above the $150 but not by much.

Food Prep

After I came home from shopping, I divided up the chicken breasts and packaged up lunch items for the next week. I will be pulling the turkey out of the freezer in a couple days to allow it to thaw.  Finally, I put my feet up and ate this healthy delicious dinner.  Grocery shopping wears me out!



No comments:

Post a Comment